Highly charged...

This is an experimental forum where we hope that newcomers will be able to ask questions and get answers!

Highly charged...

Postby M0XPT » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 am

During the recent snows I went to the room where my radio is and heard a sort of fizzing sound from the radio, so I went over and had a listen and it definitely sounded like electricity so guess what? I reached out to touch it and got a nice little belt off it through about 2cm of arc... D'OH!

I checked the PSU (a motorcycle battery) and thought for a moment before realising that it was charge building up on the 80m dipole which was still connected from that morning.
Hmmm... What to do now? Well - disconnect it obviously. But was it still charged? Why not try touching it again to see? Crack! yes is was... D'OH!

I must have discharged it by now, right? Crack! Ouch... No. D'OH!

So I went and got some rubber gloves from the garage and started experimenting: I found that with about 10 seconds to charge up I could get a 15mm spark to the radiator and it would maintain a continuous series of arcs of maybe 1mm. I am absolutely amazed by how quickly the system charged up!

So - now I have arranged a continuous earth to the house radiator and am looking into a more permanent solution and perhaps some kind of a lightening diverter - something that would take it to earth outside the house.

But (and this is the point of this post) Do I really need one? The dipole comes together through a balun into Aircell 7 coax which runs alongside (and is cable-tied to) a normally dead power lead between buildings, and a cast-iron gutter, so I am wondering - would a lightening strike on the dipole flash through the coax to earth or would it still trace into the house even though the other end is not normally connected?

Roger

ps Love the forum and the web site - Great work Conrad, and congrats on all at G4NOK for the recent lift in the club - it really sounds like things are fizzing down there...

pps I seem to require a different username for the forum and the web site - is that right or am I doing something wrong?

ppps Good luck in the 4m contest tomorrow - hope you get the antenna sorted today :)
M0XPT

Re: Highly charged...

Postby M0RCX » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi thanks for posting not sure if I know you or not but call is familiar.

Thanks for flowers and yes Conrad has done z good job but not finished yet. By a long shot. I told him to have a weekend off as he has 40 hours plus on it already this week but it is appreciated.

Thanks also for wishes for contest. Conrad will be flying solo as some regulars at a rally and I'm working
Our current beam is a vine antennas 5 ele 6n4 which will be up for grabs soon. No staff this week but we have 6 going in next Saturday. We have a beam correction to do on rotator and an hf 40 m add on for the a3s as well ans the new Slightly Bigger 6 and 4 from innvotennas

Things are fizzing and we have an enthusiastic group.

Sdr is the way forward and this time next year we will be unbeatable lol well that's the plan anyway but more importantly for us it's about raising interest and having fun.

Thanks for dropping by
Robert
M0RCX

Postby Conrad G0RUZ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 am

Robert

The call should be familiar it's Roger, I'm sure that he was around when you first started.

Roger I believe that people normally discharge such build ups through a 1M ohm resistor. I don't do HF but I'll read up on it and get back to you, it's all wireless after all.

If lightning actually hits your antenna everything electrical in your home will most likely be toast. Induced currents from nearby hits can also cause damage. I think that the lightning protectors will help with that but a direct hit takes some management. It's likely beyond the average radio ham's budget too.
Conrad G0RUZ
Site Admin

Postby Conrad G0RUZ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 am

M0XPT wrote:
pps I seem to require a different username for the forum and the web site - is that right or am I doing something wrong?

No you aren't doing anything wrong Roger - you do require to register for both sites as they are separate. However you could have used the same username and password for both.

I don't know your passwords but your username on here should be MM0XPT, that's what you are registered as. I have allowed your post as a guest.
Conrad G0RUZ
Site Admin

Postby Conrad G0RUZ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Conrad G0RUZ
Site Admin

Postby M0RCX » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:38 am

Roger? Range Rover Roger?

I thought you had emigrated to MM territory!
I trust you are well.

Robert
M0RCX

Return to Anything goes